Mental health in the UK

There are different mental health services in the UK.

The NHS has out-patient clinics for adults and for children and adolescents (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services – CAMHS). Different professionals work in these clinics – psychotherapists, clinical psychologists, social workers, and psychiatrists.

There are also counsellors who are usually attached to a General Practice (GP). In recent years there are often long waiting lists in these services and the treatment offered is likely to be short term.

Whilst in Israel there are three mental health core professions (psychiatry, clinical psychology and social work), in the UK in addition to these, psychoanalytic psychotherapy and psychoanalysis are distinctly separate professions.

Tipul members are registered with one of the professional associations for these professions in the UK: the British Psychoanalytic Society (BPAS), the British Psychoanalytic Association (BPA), the Association of Child Psychotherapists (ACP), the British Psychoanalytic Federation (BPF) and the Tavistock Society of Psychotherapists (TSP). Their regulatory body is the British Psychoanalytic Council (BPC).

We will be glad to help any Israelis who contact us.